• Look over your entire textbook prior to the first day of class.
• Skim the chapter you are about to read.
• Note the section headings.
• Read questions at end of the chapter before you read the chapter.
• Read section or chapter summaries.
• Before reading each section of the assignment, ask a question that will help you think about what you read.
• Use who, what, when, where, why or how.
• Use review questions at the end of the chapter as a guide.
• Asking questions before you read will help lead you to main ideas or key information.
• Read your assignment one section at a time.
• Read to answer your questions.
• Pay attention to facts, ideas, relationships.
• Pay close attention to bold text, graphs, tables & illustrations.
• Note whether or not you understand what you are reading.
• Reflect on what you have read.
• Make personal connections with the material.
• Does the material have connections w/ what you are learning in other classes?
• Write any important reflections or connections in your notes.
• Do you have any reservations, concerns, or opinions about the material? Ask for clarification in class.
• Take notes on what you read, even if you use a highlighter.
• Write notes in your own words rather than copying directly from the text.
• Write a brief summary for each section of text.
• If you use a highlighter, be selective about what you mark.
• Combine notes from your text w/ lecture notes.
• After you have finished reading the section, look up from the text and ask yourself “What did I just read?”
• Recite what you recall about the section to yourself.
• If you cannot remember, you should go back and re-read.
• Verbally answer the questions you came up with before reading.
• Immediate review facilitates retention.
• After you have read the whole assignment, go back and review the chapter.
• Ask yourself some test questions about the assignment.
• Plan to begin studying for finals on the first day of class! Take 15-30 minutes per class each week to look over all material that will be covered on exams
• Plan a special Weekly Review session once a week per class to review and test yourself on the material.